Monday 11 April 2011

Question 3: Do you agree or disagree with Michael Pollan?

Hmmm this is a pretty broad question, I feel like Michael Pollan is a writer who looks equally at both sides of his arguments. I think that he makes informed statements and that is pretty hard to disagree with.

There are certain aspects of the book I agree with I believe that we should all be well informed of where our food is coming from and I think that we should all be making conscious and informed decisions about the kind of food we are feeding our family, friends, and customers. I think we all have a responsibility to make organic, healthy and sustainable food a large part of our lives. But the one thing about this statement that keeps popping up in my head is that not everyone can afford to support this kind of lifestyle. Therefore how can I feel good about eating my organic chicken, knowing that some families in the building complex behind my apartment can barely afford the hormone pumped and corn fed one priced at under $8 at our neighbourhood grocery store?

Is this a realistic goal? can I agree with the idea that only those who can afford whole foods deserve that quality of food? I think there needs to be a initiative to promote healthy diets and make them affordable to those people in low income areas, otherwise there will be very little change or impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment